BIG IDEA: GOD GIVES US HIS SPIRIT
AIM: The ‘Elisha Takes His Moment’ Childrens Lesson (2 Kings 2:1-18) is all about helping children to see that just as Elisha received a double portion of Eliijah’s spirit, we too can receive the Holy Spirit in our lives.
1. ‘God’s Great Dance Floor’ by Reyer/Chris Tomlin
2. ‘Alive’ by Hillsong Young and Free
3. ‘This I Believe’ by Hillsong
1. Balloon Modelling Contest. Show the children how to make a balloon dog. Then ask them to repeat the process. Have a contest to see who can make the best dog or to make it the fastest. Link: Just as the air fills the balloon so that it can make cool shapes, the Holy Spirit comes and fills us so that we can fulfill our purpose.
2. Home made Lemonade Relay. You will need cut up lemons, water and sugar in cups and a jug for each team. Players from each team run up to a table and chew a piece of lemon and add some sugar and water. Then they spit it out into a jug. The team with the most home made lemonade at the end of the race is the winning team.
3. The Cube Swap Game. You will need two washing up bowls or boxes; one full of ball pool balls. The challenge is for children to swap the balls into the other box/bowl in under a minute – or to see who can do it the fastest.
SET the Scene:
Read 2 Kings 2:1-18. Elijah was now coming to the end of his time as a prophet of God. He had followed God’s instructions to find Elisha and Elisha was now following him and learning from him. Now was the time for Elisha to become prophet and for Elijah to leave.
2) Watch the end of the Elijah video.
SPOT the Simple Meaning:
1) ELISHA TOOK HIS MOMENT
You will want to play one or ore Minute to Win It games or Cube games. Then explain that the players only had a minute to make the most of the moment and win the game.
Say: Some people might have been embarrassed or afraid to tell Elijah that they wanted a double portion of his spirit. That meant that they wanted to be twice as effective – or do twice as much as Elijah had done for the Lord.
When a father would die the sons would get [inherit] any land, possessions or money that the father owned. It would be split up between them. Yet the oldest son would get double the amount that the other sons would get.
Elisha was saying that he wanted to be like Elijah – he wanted to be able to do the miracles and see God move through him, just as Elijah had seen. Yet he wanted to do even more. Elijah told him that there was a cost to being able to do these things – he had to be with Elijah when he went to heaven. Elisha told the prophet that he would not leave his side.
Elisha took his moment – his one chance – to spend time with Elijah and to see him get carried away by the chariots of fire. He did not want to miss his opportunity of doing great things for God.
2) WE CAN TAKE OUR MOMENT TOO!
Show two plates of food. One with a small portion, one with a double portion. [This can be a physical plate or a photo]. Show an empty bottle and fill it up. Then keep filling it so it is overflowing! [Make sure you have a plate or something to catch all the liquid in!]
Say: Jesus says that we can do more too! “Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.” John 14:12.
God wants us to be filled with His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the third person of God, remember: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. He is a person and He is God- part of the Trinity. God = 3 in 1. The Holy Spirit was given so that we might be effective in this world. He helps us to love and comfort others, to see the miraculous take place in the world. Some of us are simply content to live for God and ourselves, we get filled up with God’s Spirit, but it is only enough for us and to affect our lives. [Fill the bottle up to the top but make sure it does not overflow.]
Yet God wants to pour His Spirit out on us so that He would be overflowing from within us – so that He would affect everyone’s lives around us! [Pour the liquid over the bottle so it is overflowing] He wants to do the supernatural in and through us!
In a car race there are also chances to take your moment and to win the race. That’s the same in life. There are moments in life when we can ask God to take the lead and ask His Spirit to lead us – in fact we can do that each day!
We can ask the Holy Spirit to fill us up!
Have you asked the Holy Spirit to come and fill you up and overflow from within you? Jesus says, “Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” (John 7:38) Let’s be the kind of people that truly believe the words of Jesus and everything He has said! Let’s believe that He is going to do great things in and through us!
SEARCH the Scriptures:
When we are filled with the Holy Spirit we are given gifts and see the fruit of Him within our lives. See whose team can collect the most fruit and gifts from around the room in the shortest amount of time. [You can use physical fruit and gifts with labels or write/draw them on pieces of paper and place them around the room]
Fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control
To help children understand the different fruit of the Spirit you could check out this page. These are the fruit of the Spirit – they are the natural production of having the Holy Spirit in your life – we don’t have to work to get them, we just have to allow the Holy Spirit to work in us.
Gifts: speaking in tongues, prophecy, words of wisdom, words of knowledge, miracles (healing), faith, discernment, interpreting the speaking in tongues. To help children understand these gifts more you can visit this page.
1. Who is the Holy Spirit to you?
2. Do you think the Holy Spirit is in your life? Why/why not?
3. What things have you seen the Holy Spirit do?
4. What fruit of the Holy Spirit do you see in your own life? [Perhaps do this for the person next to you or for a best friend also]
5. How would you like to see the Holy Spirit move in your life?
Finish with Prayer asking for the Holy Spirit’s help and guidance.
SENSE How You Feel:
How would it feel to see your friend taken up to heaven?
Children think about the above question as they do one of the activities below.
1) Elisha taken up to Heaven mask
2) Chariots of Fire craft.
4) Create a giant picture of the chariots of fire together. First draw the outline and then have lots of red, orange and yellow tissue paper for the chariots of fire. You could also have brown fabric/felt for the horses and cotton wool for the whirlwind.
5) Re-enact the scene as a group. Perhaps do some freeze frames using the whole group – some children could be horses, Elijah and Elisha – allow them to use their own creativity and to work as a team. Help the children to think about how they would feel when they saw their friend ascend into heaven.