Emmit is a simple construction worker that is about to start a new day at work. In his lego world everyone follows the instructions. So that’s exactly what Emmit is going to do, in fact Emmit doesn’t do anything without his instructions!
1. Acceptance and Rejection
Say: Did you see how Emmit was following instructions to make sure that he was accepted and loved by everyone? Doesn’t that seem strange?! Surely a set of instructions can’t tell you how to please everyone? Exactly. A set of instructions can’t do that. The Bible tells us that if we follow Jesus then we will not be accepted by everyone – in fact, we will be rejected by some people. So where do we find our acceptance? True acceptance comes through Jesus. We can know God’s acceptance even though we make mistakes and often fail Him. He loves us and wants us to know that we are accepted. There is nothing we can do to make Him love us more or less, we are fully accepted in His sight.
1. What does it mean to be completely accepted by someone?
2. Have you ever felt rejected by people?
3. How does it make you feel to know that Jesus was rejected too?
4. Do you find it easy to accept others? (Why/why not?)
5. How does being accepted by God change the way you accept others?
6. Can you make everyone happy? Why/why not?
7. Do you think others can make you happy? Why/why not?
2. God’s Word (The Bible)
Say: Wow! Emmit really followed those instructions to the letter! He seemed to be having a good time, even though we find out later in the movie that he had no creativity as a result of only following instructions. God gave us a set of instructions too. His Word; the Bible. He wants us to follow His instructions, yet they are not strict, boring or tedious. They are designed to make our life amazing, when they are followed correctly. The Pharisees thought that they followed God’s Word correctly. They were very strict about every word. Yet they squeezed the life out of it because they didn’t understand the heart behind it. God wants us to know that His heart is love, grace and forgiveness, as well as Him being a God of justice. That means we don’t have to beat ourselves up every time we think we haven’t followed the instructions. We can learn to follow His instructions in a life-giving, personal way – asking God to help us by His Holy Spirit!
1. What is your favorite book, verse or character in God’s Word?
2. How have you seen God’s Word be used to make everything ‘awesome’?
3. How have you seen God’s Word being used to make things less creative and restrictive?
4. How might we make sure God’s Word is life to us?
5. How can we bring God’s Word alive to others?
6. How might we follow the instructions we have been given?
Say: Emmit was obedient to his instructions. He didn’t sway at all. Go loves it when we are obedient too! When we obey God and His word He is faithful to fulfil His promises to us. We don’t have to worry about how things will turn out in the end. We can trust that obedience is best. Why? Because we have an amazing life giving God! You see, Lord Business didn’t care about his lego friends. That’s why following the instructions turned out badly for some people. We have a God that loves us so much – He asks us to be obedient to His word because He knows that that is what is best for us. Even if being obedient causes us big problems in this life we know that there is an eternal reward.
1. Have you ever seen a dog that is obedient to its owner? What did it do?
2. What do you think is good about being obedient?
3. Why do you think we sometimes enjoy being disobedient?
4. How do you think it makes God feel when we are disobedient to Him?
5. Do you enjoy obeying God’s Word? Why/why not?
6. How have you seen obedience benefiting people in your life?