BIG IDEA: I CAN READ GOD’S WORD DAILY!
AIM: The ‘Daily’ Childrens Lesson on Joshua 1
RECAP: In the last couple of sessions, we have been looking at how God’s Word is ‘Sweet!’ and that means it is really good! We thought about the Israelites and how they were fed bread from heaven, and how we each need feeding spiritually too – from God’s Word. In the ‘Chew’ session we thought about how we need to think and pray over it as we read. In the ‘Digest’ session we were challenged to remember God’s Word. Now this week we’ll be thinking about what it means to ‘daily’ feed on God’s Word.
- Pin the Gumball. (regular/widescreen) You will need round colored stickers. Use the gumball machine printable and encourage kids to try and pin their gumball (round sticker) into the gumball machine.
- Construct with Candy. (regular/widescreen) Kids compete to construct a contraption with candy. The leader then decides which team has made the most creative contraption.
- Candy Ring Pass. (regular/widescreen) Using a lifesaver candy or another type of ring candy. Children must pass the candy using a straw in their mouths from one person in the team to another until they reach the front of the line. The winning team will pass their candy ring the fastest.
- Sugar Fix. (regular/widescreen) Children compete to eat a whole pack of candy – it could be a sherbet dip or something that doesn’t take too long to eat. The winner is the child that finishes their candy first.
BIG VERSE: O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the one who trusts in him. Psalm 34:8.
SET the Scene:
Read Joshua 1. Explain that Moses had been a great leader and all the people of Israel had respected him. To follow such a great leader would not be easy and was a very important job for someone to take on. The person to follow Moses as leader would have to be ready for a challenge. They would need to be ready to listen to God and do as He said.
SPOT the Simple Meaning:
1) FOLLOWING GOD’S WORD DAILY BRINGS SWEET RESULTS
Find a toy or a gadget that needs instructions before you can assemble everything. Try to assemble the item without the instructions or encourage teams to try to do this if you have more than one of the same item. Make sure it is something that is difficult to assemble.
Say: It can be easy to think that we don’t need God’s Word to live our lives. Perhaps we think we can make our own rules up and muddle our way through life. Lots of people do!
When we assembled this item, it was difficult – or impossible – to assemble it without the instructions. Why? [Get feedback] It’s because the maker made it and they know how to assemble it. They know all the parts that are needed to make it work and how it all fits together to work in the best way possible. We don’t know how to make it or how it works – so we need the instructions!
It’s the same in our lives. We can try and muddle through life, but the best way to do life is to have the instructions from the maker of life. Who is the maker of life? [God!] That’s right! So we need His instructions, His guidelines to help us get the best out of it. When we read God’s Word daily – every day – day and night – it helps us to live the best life and to build a life that is brilliant! It helps us to build a life that honors and respects God and that helps us to grow into the best people that we can be! It helps us to get the most out of life. In this way reading God’s Word brings SWEET results when we read it daily because God’s Word is so good that reading it brings amazing results in our lives!
SEARCH the Scriptures:
Candy Capers. (regular/widescreen) Have children search out different words from the ‘Big Verse’ and then put them into the correct order the fastest. The words could be hidden on balloons or tucked away in different areas of the building or outdoors. You could even play a relay race where children must throw candies into a bucket from a large distance in order to retrieve a word from the bible verse. With each word stick a candy next to it or on it so whoever finds it/wins it first can eat the candy.
- What did God tell Joshua to do?
- Why did God tell Joshua this?
- How did God tell Joshua he would have success?
- How do you think you can have success in your life?
SENSE How You Feel:
As the children make one of the items below encourage them to think about how reading God’s Word brings sweet results!
- Make some sweet cookies using candy and icing sugar to decorate your cookie.
- Make some rainbow candy bark. Just because… it looks so delicious!
- Using chocolate Swiss rolls or Cadburys chocolate rolls make chocolate truffles for every child to eat or take home for family and friends. First take the chocolate rolls and break them up into lots of little pieces. Then squish them together and roll them into balls. Then roll them in chocolate sprinkles. Ta-da! Easy truffles!
- Have an ice cream party with lots of ice cream, sprinkles and candy to celebrate the end of the ‘Sweet!’ teaching session as you discuss the questions below.
- Do you read the Bible every day? Why/why not?
- Is there someone else that you know reads the Bible every day? What are they like?
- How have you seen God’s Word bring sweet results in the lives of those around you?
- How has reading the Bible given you sweet results in your life?
You will need the Sweet Results Printable.
Write or draw a list or picture of the sweet results you would like to see take place in your life. Then ask God how you can get those sweet results and what He wants you to do to prepare you for those things. When we are willing to prepare ourselves, by reading the Bible and finding out God’s thoughts we are showing God that we care about what He thinks and that we are willing to do what He wants. The Holy Spirit can help you to live in such a way that the results are sweet when you follow His instructions!