BIG IDEA: GOD IS WITH ME
AIM: The ‘God is With Me’ Childrens Lesson on Daniel in the Lions Den is a reminder for children that God is with them wherever they are or whatever they are doing and so their prayers are powerful! This is the fourth session in the ‘Power in Prayer’ teaching series.
- ‘Wherever You Go’ (Joshua 1:9)
- Sleeping Lions. (Regular/Widescreen) Children all lie on the floor and pretend to be asleep. The leaders must try and make the little lions move without touching them. The child that is still ‘asleep’ at the end of the game is the winner.
- Best Lion Roar. (Regular/Widescreen) Invite your players to take turns to make their best lion roar noise. Encourage the other children to vote on who they thought was the best. Offer a prize to the player with the best roar (if you want!)
- Lions Den. (Regular/Widescreen) Place a set of keys next to a child that is acting as a sleeping lion. All the children sit in a circle around the lion. One child is chosen to retrieve the key. If the lion awakes and touches them then they are out and another child is chosen. If they succeed, they become the lion.
BIG VERSE: Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6.
SET the Scene:
Read Daniel 6 or a version of the Lions Den story. Explain to the children that Daniel was told not to pray but he knew that prayer was the most important thing he could do. He knew that without prayer he would have big problems. Prayer is simply talking to God. Daniel knew that he needed to talk to God so that he would know what to do and how to do the things God wanted him to do.
- ‘Daniel in the Lions Den’ by Saddleback Kids
- ‘Daniel and the Lions Den’ by PursueGOD Kids
- ‘Daniel and the Lions Den’ by Experience ECCO
- ‘Daniel and the Lions Den’ by New Vintage Kids
- ‘Gods Story: Daniel’ by Crossroads Kids Club
- ‘Kid Bible Story: Daniel’ by Crossroad Kids Club
SPOT the Simple Meaning:
1) MY PRAYERS ARE POWERFUL BECAUSE GOD IS WITH ME
Explain to the children that it would be strange if you had someone standing with you all day, but you never spoke to them. Invite one of the children or a leader to stand next to you. Then walk around the room and invite them to follow you wherever you go.
2. Extra Prep Idea: If you have time you could film yourself in different locations doing different activities with a random person stood next to you, that you never acknowledge.
Say: It would be really strange if someone was with you all day, every day and you never spoke to them or said anything. Imagine, you would be going to school, playing with your friends and doing all sorts of activities with them stood right next to you.
Daniel knew that God was always with him, but he chose to spend certain times of the day to focus on talking to God. This put Daniel in danger when the rules in the kingdom changed. Yet Daniel knew that God was with him and he needed to pray.
Daniel 6:10-11 says;
Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before. Then these men went as a group and found Daniel praying and asking God for help.
Daniel kept praying even when he knew he would get in trouble for talking to God. He knew that God was with him and so he wanted to talk to him. He knew that his prayers were powerful because God was with him and He was listening to his prayers.
2) I CAN PRAY ANTIME OR ANYWHERE
You will need different items to represent different places you might go. For example; a dolls house could represent your home, a pillow could represent your home or bed, a pencil case could represent school. Ask the children what place each of the items might represent.
Say: Our prayers are powerful because we can pray to our Almighty God at any time in the day wherever we are – because He is always with us! When do you like to pray? [Get feedback]
Daniel liked to pray by his window facing Jerusalem. The Bible doesn’t tell us if he prayed in the lions den… but I imagine that he did. Daniel prayed three times a day, but we can pray anytime and anywhere.
Our ‘Big Verse’ Philippians 4:6 says ‘Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.’ 1 Thessalonians 5:15-16 also says, ‘Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.’ That means that we are encouraged to pray at all times – continually – that means without stopping! We can talk to God no matter what wherever and whenever we want! God wants to talk to us too!
SEARCH the Scriptures:
Lion Crawl. (regular/widescreen) Set out some chairs and tables, hula hoops and cones as part of an obstacle course. Once each child has crawled through the obstacle course (weaving in and out and moving through items) on their hands and knees they are handed one of the bible verses. Everyone discusses what the bible verses mean.
Meat Eat. (regular/widescreen) Lions love eating meat! Laminate the bible verses below and place them in a couple of bowls full of Spam and/or cooked minced beef. Place the bowl on the floor in front of a couple of contestants. Encourage a couple of the children to to retrieve the bible verses from the meat. The first player to get all the bible verses is the winner. Then discuss.
Bible verses about how God is with me: (download here for a PDF)
Remember that I commanded you to be strong and brave. So don’t be afraid. The Lord your God will be with you everywhere you go.” Joshua 1:9.
So don’t worry, because I am with you. Don’t be afraid, because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you. I will support you with my right hand that saves you. Isaiah 41:10.
Be strong and brave. Don’t be afraid of them. Don’t be frightened. The Lord your God will go with you. He will not leave you or forget you.” Deuteronomy 31:6.
Teach them to obey everything that I have told you. You can be sure that I will be with you always. I will continue with you until the end of the world.” Matthew 28:20.
Keep your lives free from the love of money. And be satisfied with what you have. God has said, “I will never leave you; I will never abandon you.” Deuteronomy 31:6. Hebrews 13:5.
You should know that you yourselves are God’s temple. God’s Spirit lives in you. 1 Corinthians 3:16.
Even if I walk through a very dark valley, I will not be afraid because you are with me. Your rod and your shepherd’s staff comfort me. Psalm 23:4.
The Lord your God is with you. The mighty One will save you. The Lord will be happy with you. You will rest in his love. He will sing and be joyful about you.” Zephaniah 3:17.
SENSE How You Feel:
Encourage the children to imagine how Daniel must have felt in the story. As they think they could make or do one of the activities below. Then come together and discuss what they think and how they feel.
How did it feel for Daniel in the lions den?
How did Daniel feel when he got out of the lions den?
- Create a lion mask.
- Color the Daniel and the Lions Den Printable.
- Make a tshirt, badge, wristband or necklace that you can wear to remind you that God is with you wherever you go.
- Create a lion pencil holder.
- Does someone they know need to know that God is with them? Encourage the children to make a card for someone that needs a reminder that God is with them.
- Create a Daniel praying window craft. (Coming soon)
- Go on a prayer walk with your group and remind the children that God is with you. Encourage the children to pray for: 1. Things they see to be thankful for 2. Things they know God wouldn’t like to see – pray prayers of sorry and help
God is with me when I’m…
You will need a copy of the ‘God is with me when I’m’ Prayer Printables.
Encourage the children to finish this sentence and to place their answer on a board in your room. Thank God that He is with you all wherever you go, whatever time it is and however you feel. Explain to the children that wherever they are they can always call on God and He is there for them.