BIG IDEA: GOD WILL MAKE A WAY
AIM: The aim of the ‘God Will Make a Way’ Childrens Lesson (John 10:7) is to help children realise that they can have faith to know that God will make a way for them to be saved and to get through any difficult situation. All they need to do is pray and trust God! This is the second lesson in the ‘Mountain Mover’ teaching series.
You could use the clip from Monsters Inc where Sulley and Mike open doors to different places as they chase Randall.
Intro Question: If you could open a door to go anywhere, where would you go?
- Cross the River. Teams place newspapers on the floor and must have to cross the room or the ‘river’ by only stepping on the newspaper and not the floor.
- Mine Field.
- Mind the Cups. Cups of water are placed all over the floor (or a square of your room) and one person is blindfolded. They must make their way through the cups of water to the other end of the square or room.
- Maze. Tape a grid (4 x4) on the floor using duct tape. One person creates a pathway on paper through the grid to the other side. Players must try and work out the pathway by stepping onto each square on the grid. When they go wrong the person with the paper makes a buzzer noise and the player must go to the end of the line. The next player can use what they have learned from the previous player to try and conquer the maze.
- Shepherd and Sheep. Check out this fun game by ChildrensMinistry.com
- British Bull Dog (regular/widescreen) or Red Rover (regular/widescreen).
BIG VERSE: For we live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7.
SET the Scene:
Read John 10:7-10.
Explain to the children that these verses come directly before and after Jesus has been talking about being a Good Shepherd. Jesus isn’t just the Good Shepherd but he is THE door Or THE gate. Explain that today you will be looking at what it means for Jesus to be the door.
SPOT the Simple Meaning:
1) JESUS IS THE DOOR
Play the ‘The Gate’ movie in silence as you talk or play it through first, depending on what is best for your group of children. You may also want a door, or to stand near a door as you speak and open and close it for dramatic purposes.
Say: Jesus told his followers that He is the door. Not ‘a’ door, but ‘the’ door.
So Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth. I am the door for the sheep. All the people who came before me were thieves and robbers. The sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. The person who enters through me will be saved. He will be able to come in and go out and find pasture. A thief comes to steal and kill and destroy. But I came to give life—life in all its fullness.
Jesus is telling us that he is the only way to know God and to get to Heaven – He is the only way we can be saved from all the wrong things we have done. In the times of Jesus the shepherd would have a sheep pen where he would keep all of his sheep. The sheep pen would simply have a rock wall around it with an opening for the sheep to go in and out. But there would be no door.
Shepherds living out in the countryside would sit in the opening of the sheep fold. They would sleep there at night. This would stop any predators from getting into the sheepfold and eating the sheep, it would also stop the sheep from escaping and wondering away and getting lost. The shepherd was like the door for the sheep. He was the only way in and the only way out. [Open and shut a door and have a volunteer try and get into the room without opening the door].
Jesus was telling his followers that He is the only way to be saved. He is both the Good Shepherd who looks after the sheep and the door for the sheep. We are the sheep and Jesus makes the way for us to know the Father God.
2) GOD WILL MAKE A WAY
You could use the last fight scene from Big Hero 6 where the children get an idea on how to solve their problems. Funny pictures of sheep.
Say: Just as Jesus makes a way for us to be saved – to know God and to live with Him forever – to be forgiven for all our wrong doings, God makes a way in our tough situations too. God is able to do the impossible and He is able to help us get through any difficult time. Just as a door is the way in and out, God knows the way in and out of any bad problem we have.
In the Big Hero 6 clip the team had to think in a different way. Sometimes God will make a way for us by helping us to think creatively. Or perhaps when we ask Him to help us in prayer He will give us a special word in the Bible that will help us to feel peace and joy. There are so many ways that God can help make a way for us in tough situations. All we need to do is keep trusting in Him and keep praying. God will make a way for you in your situation.
SEARCH the Scriptures:
KerPlunk It. (Small group) Before you play you will need to wrap and tape some of the bible verse references to the straws of the kerplunk game. Then put them in place and pour in the marbles. When a child takes out a straw they will be able to keep the bible reference, if attached. The winner is one who can add up their number of bible verses minus the number of marbles that dropped. Whoever has the most points at the end is the winner.
Pick Up Sticks (Small group) Before you play you will need to wrap and tape some of the bible verse references to the sticks. Then lay the sticks on top of one another. Players must try and pick up a stick without moving the other sticks. If another stick moves then the next player can have a go. If a player picks up a stick without moving any others that player gets to keep the stick. The winner is the player with the most sticks with bible references on at the end. You could buy the giant version of this game for a larger group or use straws rather than special sticks to make the game cheaper or to make lots of packs for a bigger group to split into small groups.
Verses that Show Jesus is the Way:
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6.
There is only one God. And there is only one way that people can reach God. That way is through Jesus Christ, who is also a man. Jesus gave himself to pay for the sins of all people. Jesus is proof that God wants all people to be saved. And that proof came at the right time.1 Timothy 2:5-6.
If anyone does not believe in the Son, he does not have the Father. But whoever accepts the Son has the Father, too. 1 John 2:23.
Anyone who believes in the Son of God has the truth that God told us. Anyone who does not believe makes God a liar. He does not believe what God told us about his Son. This is what God told us: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life. But the person who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 1 John 5:10-12.
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding. Now we can know God, the One who is true. And our lives are in that true God and in his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the true God, and he is eternal life. 1 John 5:20.
Jesus is the only One who can save people. No one else in the world is able to save us. Acts 4:12
Jesus answered, “I am the way. And I am the truth and the life. The only way to the Father is through me. John 14:6.
People are made right with God by his grace, which is a free gift. They are made right with God by being made free from sin through Jesus Christ. Romans 3:24.
God did not choose us to suffer his anger, but to have salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus died for us so that we can live together with him. It is not important if we are alive or dead when Jesus comes. 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10.
- How do you know that Jesus is the only way to know God and to have eternal life?
- What does this mean for other religions?
- How has Jesus made a way to bring you victory and success in a difficult situation?
Times in the Bible when God Made a Way:
- Moses and the Israelites crossing the Red Sea.
- Joshua carrying the Ark of the Covenant over the river.
- Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace.
- Jesus dying on the cross – made a way for us to be forgiven and to know God as our friend.
- Can you think of another time in the Bible when God made a way to solve a problem or to sort out a situation that someone was in?
SENSE How You Feel:
- Make a popsicle door or gate and add the verse “I am the door/gate to the sheep” John 10:7 by gluing a printed version onto the popsicles. To make it more fun you could also make a sheep to go with the door by using white and black plasticine or playdough.
- Create a greeting card and make it in the shape of a door. Encourage children to decorate it and to write a note to themselves to remind them that God will make a way during a tough time. They could also make one for a friend or family member and write an encouraging note about how God will make a way in their circumstance.
- Make your own sheep pen by bringing chairs around and leaving a space for a person to sit in the space where the sheep would go in and come out. Encourage children to try acting out what it would be like to be sheep and a shepherd and how they would come in and out of the sheep pen.
Say: We can pray and ask God to make a way for people we know are going through tough situations. We can ask the Holy Spirit to come and help our friends and families to trust in God through these horrible or scary times.
- Give each child a tray of sand or have a large sand area available. Children can use their fingers to make a way through the sand as they pray and ask God to make a way in their friends’ and families’ lives.
- Make a prayer labyrinth that children can walk through as a way of asking God to make a way for them to have victory in their situation.