The ‘Loneliness’ movie discussion is a great opportunity to discuss how it feels to be lonely. Remember that children and young people may not feel ready to open up about their loneliness. Try to be patient as you speak with them and remember to create a space where people can share openly and freely by respecting and listening to everyone’s thoughts and ideas.
Lego Batman has a fantastic time getting rid of all the bad guys… yet when he gets home he is simply lonely. He has nobody to spend time with, especially when Alfred is not there.
Watch this clip here.
We all feel lonely sometimes and Batman is no exception. Poor Batman! He has nobody to hang out with! Do you ever feel this way? Do you ever feel like you are on your own? God cares about each one of us and He doesn’t want us to feel lonely. He is with us each and every day. He never leaves us. So though we may feel lonely, we are never alone. We can always call out to God and ask Him to remind us that He is with us in our loneliness. We don’t have to be lonely alone.
Did you know that you can also ask others to help you when you feel lonely? Tell a grown up how you are feeling and ask them to help you make friends or to spend time with you themselves.
Bible Verses about Being Lonely:
Be strong and brave. Don’t be afraid of them. Don’t be frightened. The Lord your God will go with you. He will not leave you or forget you. Deuteronomy 31:6.
If my father and mother leave me, the Lord will take me in. Psalm 27:10.
Turn to me and be kind to me. I am lonely and hurting. Psalm 25:16.
So don’t worry, because I am with you. Don’t be afraid, because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you. I will support you with my right hand that saves you. Isaiah 41:10.
Before you start discussing, remind the children that although they may feel like they have lots of friends, some children may not and may feel lonely. It is important that as you discuss with one another, you try to understand and listen and show care for each other’s situations.
- When was the last time you felt lonely, like Batman?
- Do you often feel lonely? Why/why not?
- Does it make you feel good to know that God is with you when you feel lonely? Why/why not?
- How can you be a good friend to someone that is lonely?
- How can you be a good friend when you feel lonely?
- Have you tried to make more friends? Why/why not?
- Do you think Jesus ever felt lonely? Why/why not?
- How can we help each other when we are lonely?
- Why do you think God wants us to have friends?
- How is God the greatest friend we can have?